Monday 6 January 2014

How To: Clean Make Up Brushes!

For today's post I thought I'd share with you how I clean my make up brushes. The way I do it is a pretty simple and cheap way of cleaning them. It's SO important to clean your brushes roughly about once a week to get rid of any bacteria and to stop it spreading on to your face. Unclean brushes can be the cause of your spots! Anyway here's what I do...

Step 1:
Gather your make up brushes, a towel, shampoo and conditioner.








Step 2:
Placing the brush vertically under the tap, wet the bristles. Make sure the bristles are pointing downwards to protect them. Use luke warm water because if the water is too hot it can damage your brush. If you're using cheaper brushes, be careful cleaning them as I've found before the bristles have fallen out or the glue has melted.



Step 3:
Put a small piece of shampoo (smaller than a pea size for face brushes and even smaller for eyeshadow brushes) onto the palm of your hand. In a circular motion, swirl the brush into the shampoo so it creates a lather. Dip it into the water every so often and squeeze out any excess shampoo and water. Squeeze in a downwards motion to protect your brush. Keep doing this until the water runs clear. 






Step 4:
Place a tiny amount of conditioner in the palm of your hand and do exactly the same as with the shampoo then wash thoroughly.



Step 5:
When all brushes are washed, place them on a towel. Then place the towel on something that it can be let hang over the edge. I usually use a chair or a radiator is good too if it's covered but make sure it's not on, the brushes need to be let air dry. I usually leave mine dry overnight.



And that's it! Simple and affordable! Hope you enjoyed this post!

Keep Stylin'

Rebecca x

6 comments:

Bethanie Jane said...

Really good post. Always like to see how people clean their brushes! I've heard that baby shampoo is dead good too x

Bethanie | bethaniejane.co.uk

Rainbows & Fairydust said...

Aw I'm glad! Ya baby shampoo is really good as it shouldn't damage your brushes because it's so gentle! Thanks for checking my blog out just followed you x

Denise Lindsay said...

Thanks for sharing. Your post has just reminded me to wash my brushes as I can't remember when I last washed them :O. Will do that this afternoon :)

wantingtobeadomesticgoddess.blogspot.co.uk

Unknown said...

The main thing is actually not to forget to wash your brushes on the regular basis. That's i guess is usually the main issue. I try to do that every other sunday. Twice a month is not bad at all, right? ;)

Nice to meet you btw. Found your blog through Fiona's Where Rainbows End Blog Hop.
Have a lovely sunday.
xo,
Luchessa.org

Rainbows & Fairydust said...

Haha to be honest I'm pretty irregular with cleaning my brushes but shh! I really should do it more often but it kind of takes a long time! Thanks for commenting!

Rebecca x

Rainbows & Fairydust said...

Yes it's SO important! I will admit I'm not the most regular brush cleaner :( I really need to do it more they can be really unhygenic! Twice a month is definitely acceptable! Glad we're on the same page haha!

Oh cool thats great thanks for checking my blog out and for commenting :) Will follow you now and check out your blog :)

Rebecca x